Sunday, July 26, 2009

wooden tiny spools & an idea

Today we went for a drive to the Tyabb Packing House Antique Centre, lots & lots of nice things to look at - most things we loved were a little pricy. I did spy these wooden cotton spools which I love, 9 for $20.

Not too much has been happening on the sewing front, still hand quilting the scrappy quilt but I have had an idea for my next quilt. I'm going to venture away from the safe world of squares & rectangles and give hexagons a go. I'm thinking of liberty flowers surrounded by the old faithful cotton/linen blend - I think the hexagons will be around 2" wide

Here's my current Liberty stash, I think it needs to be bigger......... yes, most definitely!

Monday, July 20, 2009

Thank you to three buttons

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Angela of three buttons, she was very kind & generous to send me a mr electron kit to make for Filip after seeing 'space flight' in my blog back in april. I thought Angela was going to send me a pattern, but today the postman delivered a complete kit - WOW! what a lovely surprise. If any of you haven't been by three buttons I suggest you do for some great inspiration. Thank you - thank you - thank you Angela x.
I also wanted to share the birthday card I made (with the help of hubby) for Flip, Flip loved it he said it's "Flippy the astronaut" with much glee. I found a retro picture on the web, hubby photoshopped flip in and I just added some text - and there you have it, a homemade birthday card.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

happy birthday bunting

It will be flip's birthday next Saturday, he'll be 6 - time goes by so quickly. I've been meaning to make some birthday bunting for a while now, something to replace the cheap looking foil/plastic crinkled up bought one. This is unisex so we can use it for everyone. I used some denim that I've had for ages - the reverse side and fabrics from my stash/scraps for the letters.
I hand sewed on each letter using blanket stitch or just a round & round (don't know if that has a technical term...) stitch. A half inch strip was sewn on the bottom and I frayed the bottom edges of each letter. Strung them on some cotton rope and there you have it!
Here's a little more detail on each letter, a great little week-end project.