Sunday, September 26, 2010

fabric collage with elizabeth barnett

Today I attended a class at amitie with Elizabeth Barnett who is a young, very talented Melbourne artist, the class was on fabric collage.  I really loved the class and it was great being able to look and touch some of Elizabeth's works of art.  This is what I have started, a piece of linen with a $0.50 ikea tea towel as the backing/binding.  I still have a bit to add, my idea is to sew on a representation of flip & bells and lots of running stitch all over the place.  I have 2 weeks until the next class - we'll see what eventuates...



In the next class we'll look at creating our own rubber stamps, I can't wait - I'd love to have something stamped onto my collage, a pic perhaps or maybe some text.


My collage is around 7" x 14", the smallest in our class today.  One of Elizabeth's pieces was a fabric book which was just beautiful, a great idea to capture a little story.  She also showed us some silk that she had dyed using natural dyes from leaves, onion skins and tumeric, just to name a few things - that too was beautiful. 


So much fun, I love the non-perfectness, the frayed edges & the mix of media you can use.

1 comment:

  1. that is so lovely and so you! bring it along this week so I can have a peak!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete